Do you feel sluggish in the mornings even if you got a full 8 hour’s sleep?
Are you under so much stress that you wake up still feeling exhausted?
Are your days so demanding that you need to ensure you’re at the top of your game from the moment you jump out of bed?
Whatever the reason, it seems like we’re all looking for new ways to get more energy in the morning – in fact, this is the most asked question when people see a nutritionist. In our busy modern lives, morning fatigue is extremely common.
While ensuring that you’re getting enough good quality sleep is essential for fighting off fatigue and promoting a healthy sleep cycle, there are also some other simple things you can do to start your day feeling more awake and energized. We’ve rounded up the 5 easiest and most effective ways that could help you gain more energy in your morning.
1. Try to wake up with the sun
Don’t worry, we’re not saying you should get up at sunrise! We’re talking about getting some natural sunlight as soon as you wake.
Research has found that sunlight stimulates your brain and helps to regulate your internal body clock, helping you feel more energized upon waking. Studies have also found that sunlight increases your body’s serotonin levels, leading to better sleep quality and, in turn, more energy during the day.
Easy ways to get more sunlight in your morning routine
- Start your day with an outdoor morning walk
- Open all your blinds and curtains as soon as you wake
- Leave your blinds and curtains slightly open before heading to bed – natural light will slowly filter into your room as the sun rises, helping your body realize it’s time to wake up
2. Say hello to H2O
One of easiest ways to feel more alert in the morning is to drink a big glass of water. This simple 30-second morning habit will help give your body the hydration boost it needs to get up and go.
As you sleep, your body loses fluids through your breath, sweat and urine production. If you don’t properly rehydrate upon waking, you could find yourself battling with the symptoms of dehydration, such as fatigue, brain fog and even decreased cognitive performance. It’s also important to ensure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated and maintain optimal brain and body function. Current health guidelines recommend that adults drink around 6 to 8 cups of water each day.
Easy ways to add more water into your morning routine
- Fill up a big water bottle each night and keep it by your bed so you can start sipping as soon as you wake up
- Not a big fan of plain water? Add some natural flavour to your H2O with lemon juice, cucumber slices, orange slices, fresh berries or mint leaves
3. Move your body
Exercising in the morning doesn’t sound very enticing when you’re low on energy. But, the good news is that you don’t have to smash out an intense HIIT session to reap its energy-boosting benefits!
Simply stretching for a few minutes first thing in the morning helps to energize your body, increase circulation and relieve any muscle stiffness from sleeping. Better yet, starting your day with gentle to moderate exercise can help to reduce fatigue and release feel-good endorphins. Research also shows that regular exercise can improve sleep duration and quality, and, of course, better sleep equals more energy!
Easy ways to bring more movement into your morning routine
- Short on time? 5 minutes of simple stretching is all you need to help your body, muscles and brain wake up
- Morning yoga is a great way to ease into your day, warm up your muscles and boost your energy levels
- Get your heart rate up and your blood pumping with some quick vigorous exercises, such as brisk walking, skipping rope or jumping jacks
4. Harness the power of plants
Sure, the coffee bean gets a lot of the glory when it comes to nature’s energy boosters – but did you know there is a whole world of plant-based power you can harness to feel more alive in the morning?
Functional mushrooms are loaded with antioxidants, adaptogens and nutrients, and have been used for centuries for their nutritional benefits and medicinal properties. One of the best functional mushrooms for energy is Cordyceps, which studies have found helps to reduce fatigue and increase endurance and physical performance. Need to feel more focused and alert? Research shows Lions Mane promotes cognitive function and mental clarity.
When you’re lacking energy, convenience and ease is everything – so sourcing and using functional mushrooms in your morning routine may sound a little too hard, right? We get it. That’s why Beams coffee elixirs are pre-made, pre-mixed to perfection and ready to go, so you can benefit from these powerful plant-based ingredients in one easy-to-use coffee pod.
Easy ways to add plant power into your morning routine
- Simply choose from our range of delicious coffee elixirs, pop a Beams coffee pod in your coffee machine and enjoy all the plant-based benefits – it’s that easy!
5. Fuel up with healthy food
Healthy, natural, nutrient dense food is the best fuel for our bodies – especially at breakfast time. Research has found that a balanced breakfast consisting of protein, healthy fats and low GI carbohydrates will give your body the energy it needs to start the day and keep you going until lunchtime.
However, don’t go frying up a big breakfast feast! Eating a large meal may have the opposite effect, leaving you feeling sluggish as your body works to digest your food. Stick to small, healthy breakfasts such as porridge with fruit or eggs on toast.
Easy ways to fit a balanced breakfast into your morning routine
- Make your breakfast the night before with this 3-ingredient overnight chia pudding recipe or this easy overnight oats recipe
- Bananas are a great on-the-go breakfast, loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients, healthy carbohydrates to keep you feeling fuller for longer and natural sugars for an energy boost
- Wholemeal toast with natural peanut butter is a quick, easy and nutritious breakfast option, boasting wholegrains, protein and healthy fats
Ready to kickstart your mornings?
Feeling slow and sluggish? Give your body the extra boost it needs in the morning with our high-octane ENERGY coffee elixir, infused with Cordyceps Sinensis to increase your energy levels and fight fatigue.
Feeling a little fuzzy and unfocused? Say farewell to brain fog and hello to clarity with our MIND coffee elixir, loaded with brain-boosting Lion’s Mane .